We are a site that tries to bring fun into learning English. However, as with all languages, there are times when it is not used to express joy, but used to express sorrow. Writing condolence messages in English is also a difficult situation for a second language learner as although they share the feelings of sympathy they may struggle with the language or not have the words to express themselves to their friends or colleagues.
We have written down condolence messages in English you can use to write in letters, cards or on flowers. It is an important time and being able to express your sympathies and avoid mistakes or even worse offense is very important at these sad times.
We also have quotes you can attach form some of the best writers and wordsmiths the English language has ever had.
We have these in three sections: Short Messages | Longer messages | and Quotes about losing loved ones | Losing a child. You can jump ahead if you need to. We also have the final section, as horrible as it is, as it is an especially sensitive time.
In some of these condolence messages in English we have left gaps in so you can add names if you knew them personally and others you can just use as they are.
Short Condolence Messages in English
If you need to sign a card or are not confident to use a large number of words you can use these shorter condolence messages in English which all express sympathy to your friend or colleague on their loss.
- You are in my thoughts during this difficult time. May Almighty’s blessings be with you and your family.
- Mere words can’t express how distraught we are to hear of your loss.
- May the memory and shared joy of _______ bring you comfort and peace.
- We pray that all the loving memories bring you peace, comfort and soon even joy.
- You are in our thoughts everyday in your time of sorrow
- Wishing you peace and comfort during this difficult time.
- May the sorrow in your heart be fought by the love that surrounds you.
- We miss them every day too. With heartfelt condolences at this very difficult time.
- Please accept my heartfelt sympathies for your loss. We are here for you whatever you need.
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- We are here for you and your family at this difficult time.
- I am just so sorry for what happened. I cannot even start to imagine how painful it must be for everyone who loved them too much. You are in my prayers during this daunting time. May God’s blessings be with you and your family.
- I am just so sorry for what happened. I cannot even begin to imagine how hard it must be for everyone who loved your ________ too much
- My heart aches with yours, my friend. Be strong. May God’s love carry your hearts through this difficult time.
- We are all thinking about you during this sad time in life. May your memories comfort you now and always.
- Condolences to the family. Our thoughts & prayers go out to you in this challenging time
- I am so sorry for your loss. My sincere thoughts & prayers are with all who are feeling the pain of grief right now
- I know that words cannot ease the pain of your loss, but I want you to know that my thoughts are with you.
- Please accept my heartfelt condolences during this difficult time
- Please accept my most sincere condolences. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time
- Please know that I am thinking about you and pulling for your strength. May God hold close to his heart all those who have lost their loved ones so unexpectedly
- My deepest heartfelt sympathy is sent along with many prayers of comfort at the passing of a great _________
- We share your sadness over the passing of _______. May God Bless them forever with peace and eternal happiness.. We will keep you in our prayers.
- Prayers for comfort and peace. May memories bring smiles to those hurting today, and encouragement tomorrow for each new day brings hope that life continues beyond tragedy.
In Depth Sympathy Messages In English
The following condolence messages in English are a little longer and more detailed. If you are sending a personal card to a friend or co worker then you may need to write a little more to express your sympathies.
- Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your loved one. May God grant you peace and comfort at this difficult time. It is so traumatic to lose someone we love, but know that she will eternally be in our hearts now and always. I pray that her memory lives within you as it does for all those who knew & loved her too.
- I am so sorry for the loss of your loved one. Please accept my deepest condolences during this difficult time. Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything that I can help with while going through this trying ordeal ahead. Sending lots of love + light your way
- Condolences on the loss of _______ Our heartfelt thoughts & prayers are with you during this difficult time. May God comfort you with his love knowing that they have gone home to be at peace.
- Please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the death of _________. We have not forgotten their kindness, friendship, and support of your family. We have you in our thoughts during these sad days ahead. May God give you strength & comfort knowing that they are in a better place.
- I know that words can never be enough. Please accept my deepest condolences on the passing of your loved one. May God give you strength & comfort knowing how much they were cared about by many people now & always. Please let me know if there’s something I can do from here in whatever capacity is needed.
- I am deeply saddened to hear of ________passing away. Please know I’m thinking about you and sending my heartfelt condolences. May they rest in eternal peace, and may God comfort you during this difficult time.
- I cannot begin to imagine the pain and sadness you must be feeling right now. But I want you to know that even though they aren’t physically with us anymore, their spirit will dwell in our hearts forever. May tranquility find its way into your heart, knowing that ______ was a fantastic person who brought joy into so many lives.
- While nothing can take away the pain of your loss, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. May God give you strength during this unpleasant time.
- Please accept our deepest condolences on the passing of _______. We will have them forever in our hearts as we join hands with heaven above. Our love, thoughts, and prayers are always here for you too. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if there is anything I can do while going through this trying ordeal ahead. Sending lots of love & light your way.
- In the wake of ________ passing, I extend my deepest sympathies. May she find peace in our heavenly Father’s embrace and know that we are all here with love for her family during this difficult time
- Please be rest assured that I am praying for you as you mourn the loss of your loved one and celebrate their life.
- Thoughts and prayers are sent to support you during these sad days ahead. May they rest peacefully, knowing their life was valued so very deeply by all who knew them
- It’s never easy to lose someone we love, but it’s comforting to know they will forever be in our hearts now and always.
- We are so deeply sorry to learn about the sudden loss of _____. Our thoughts and earnest prayers are with you during this difficult time. Please know that _______ in a better place and will never be forgotten. We hope that you can find comfort and peace in your memories of her.
Condolence and Grief Quotes in English.
The following are some very beautiful condolence quotes in english that would be suitable to add to a sympathy card or flowers with your condolence messages in English. They are both contemporary and older quotes included.
What to Say to Someone Who Has Lost a Child in English
There is no greater loss that that of a child. It is important to get any messages of sympathy and condolence correct. We have a few condolence messages in English below that can allow you to express your feelings.
However, the best thing you can do is to be there for the bereaved parent. They will want to withdraw, and will have no idea how they can go on. Letting them know you are there, just to help, sit, be a shoulder to cry on is the best condolence message you can give them. There is no worse pain and understanding that goes along way to helping.
- So sorry for your loss, there is a another star shining in the heavens tonight.
- Those we have held in our arms for a short while we will hold in our hearts forever.
- There are no words to express our sorrow in this dark time, we can only say we are thinking of you and are there to give you any help you need.
- The love and joy that your child brought to the world will live on. You are in our thoughts during this traumatic time.
- We are lucky to have known your son/daughter, and feel blessed to have been part of their lives. We can only imagine the pain you feel and are with you every step of the way.
- My heart is breaking for you, you have all of our love at this difficult time.
- We extend our deepest condolences and sympathies to you and your family. We are here for you.
- Such a beautiful presence in the world. You have our immeasurable sympathy and love.
- Everyone is better for knowing your _______. They will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.
- Its okay to be not okay. You have our condolences, sympathy love and as much time as you need. We love you.
- In this time of heartbreak please know you have countless people who love and are here for you
- The memory of _______ will live long in the hearts of so many.
- I wish we could share the burden of your pain. You are in our thoughts and prayers every day.
- Anything you need, night or day, we are here for you. Remember you are loved by all of us.
- _______ will live on in the people whose lives they touched.
It is an unpleasant reality that we will all be faced with offering sympathy, and receiving it, at some point. It is a very sensitive time, and while we have no problem with English students making mistakes this situation is one of the very rare situations that you want to avoid them where possible. hopefully our condolence messages in English will help achieve that.
If you are really unsure of what to write or don’t want to take the risk. Just being a friend is the strongest message you can send. That message doesn’t need a language to send.
If anyone is struggling with grief or loss then we have included a link below to help, obviously our readership is from hundreds of different countries but the link will explain something about the stages of grief and you can move on from there.
Sympathies to you all.