This is great for self directed learning allowing the teacher to target instruction and monitor the whole class as they are engaged in an activity. I have changed some of the words to make them a little easier as i work in an ESL environment, but i have left some more difficult ones in as well. If you want to change it there is a link at the bottom to the editable version.
This Activity can be great for individual or group work
- Simply give the students a set of cards and ask them to match the opposites to each other, it could also be used to play the ‘’old maid’’ card game
- The images are high quality so can also be used for posters, flash cards or displays on word walls.
- You could even print them twice and play snap
There are 60 plus cards so it should be good for up to five players , you can play old maid with them as well and i have put the instruction both here and in the file. ( it is lots of fun!!)
How to Play Old Maid
- Sometimes called Odd One Out. Players pull cards from one another’s hands, trying to make pairs.
- The player left with the unmatchable Making English Fun card loses.
- •Starting with the dealer, each player then takes a turn fanning out their hands so that the player to their left can draw one card.
- The player must not be allowed to see the other player’s hand.
- Play continues in this fashion. As players make pairs in their hand, they put them face up on the table.
- Each player is trying to get rid of his cards as fast as possible.
- The player left holding the unmatched card, the Making English Fun Logo, loses.
- Though its hard, players should not let out WHOOPS or joy if someone picks the Making English fun card from their hand :P!!!
Here is a video with instructions as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUJY6HB70Cc
These can also be used as flashcards for adjectives as well 🙂
However, I am sure you didn’t read all that as we are all busy teaching 😛 so feel free to download it at the bottom and i hope you enjoy using them!
Most of resources can be premium downloaded below, they are all editable so you can adapt them for your, classes, students and schools. It also helps me with the costs of running the website!